Thursday, August 22, 2013

Day One: In the Air


The boiling water seeped into the opening blisters on my swollen feet as I laid there, in the tub of my hotel room, alone my first night in London. Jet lag was hitting me, but all of the stress and anxiety of the day eased out of my tense body as the water cooled.

There has been no previous time that I could remember, during the short two decades of my life, were I had accomplished so much in 24 hours. Well, I cannot really remember if it was 24 hours. You see, I kind of time traveled when flying to London, cutting out a few unimportant hours in the States for a jam packed day; finding people to live with, finding Jamie, a flat, discussing a lease, getting a phone, did I mention jet lag? But, it all started in the air.

“I am so sorry to bother you, ma’m, but is it alright if I peer over your shoulder as we land? I’ve just never seen London before.”

“Is this the first time to the U.K.?” she said cheerfully. “You’re just going to love it.”

The woman told me she’s lived in England her whole life, except for eight years she spent in Manhattan. She grabbed her heart, remembering New York and telling me you’re just going to love it here. There is so much to do.

We both peaked at the countryside. Fog was lifting in the crevasses of small hills between the checkered plots of farmland.

“You can tell we are getting close to the city because of the motorway (highway). There is a large circle all around London. You never know how we are going to land in Heathrow, like JFK. We may come in around the city, or go straight threw it.”

Our plane paralleled the Thames. We were going straight threw the city.

She pointed first to the Olympic stadiums, then Buckingham Place and the gardens, the London Eye which is near Big Ben and Parliament. Then we flew over rows upon rows of identical houses, all like the ones from Harry Potter.

I couldn’t have asked for a better tour.

“Thank you, so much. You have no idea how excited I am.”

But she knew. It was like being in NYC for the first time. A city with endless history and possibilities.


For the second piece of this four part series, click here for "Day One: Customs." 


No comments:

Post a Comment